skip navigation
Support KUOW
Listen to Weekday

Audio not available.

Weekday on Demand


what's on

Your Take On The News

Weekday

DNC Update, A New Encyclopedia Of DNA, And Comedian Mike Birbiglia

Marcie Sillman
09/07/2012 at 9:00 a.m.

Wrapping Up The Democratic Convention: Jill Jackson of CBS News joins us from Charlotte, North Carolina, with reaction to President Obama's address to the Democratic Convention.

A New 'Encyclopedia' Of DNA: For decades, scientists have known that genes are the instruction manual for life. Genes account for just 2 percent of our DNA. Now, after nine years of study by more than 400 scientists, researchers have a better understanding of what the other 98 percent does. We talk to Dr. John Stamatoyannopoulos about this new encyclopedia for DNA and how it is changing genetics.

Poet Heather McHugh: MacArthur Genius Grant winner Heather McHugh talks about her new project, a nonprofit called Caregifted that offers a week–long respite to the people who spend most of their waking moments looking after a sick or disabled child or an aging parent or family member.

Comedian Mike Birbiglia: Comedian and writer Mike Birbiglia's new movie "Sleepwalk With Me" is a semi–autobiographical retelling of his early struggles with rapid eye movement behavior disorder, a disorder that causes sleepwalking. Birbiglia's nighttime jaunts went from odd to deadly one night while staying in a hotel in Walla Walla, Washington. We'll talk with him about the humor he's found in his story and the new movie he's made with "This American Life's" Ira Glass.

Weekend Weather Forecast: Nick Bond joins us with a look at the weekend weather.



Guest(s)

Jill Jackson is a Capitol Hill producer for CBS News.

Dr. John Stamatoyannopoulos is an associate professor of genome sciences and medicine at the University of Washington.

Heather McHugh is an award–winning poet and writer. She won the MacArthur Genius Grant in 2009. In 2011, she started Caregifted, supporting gifts for long–term family caregivers.

Mike Birbiglia is a comedian, writer, director and actor. His new movie is "Sleepwalk With Me."

Nick Bond is the Washington state climatologist. He works at the Joint Institute for the Study of Atmosphere and Ocean.

Weekday Contacts
phone icon

206.543.5869 / 800.289.5869

Live Call–in Line

email icon weekday at kuow dot org

Email

spacer

07.17.18

Schedules

spacer