Quick Guide to KUOW Copy Writing
Your KUOW account manager will work with you to create an announcement that will suit your marketing needs and ensure compliance with Federal Communications Commission (FCC) regulations [Section 399B of the Federal Communications Act of 1934 and Sections 73.503(d) and 73.503(e), FCC 2d 255 (1994)] which apply to non–commercial stations and station policy.
The FCC regulations and KUOW guidelines serve to protect the non–commercial environment so highly valued by public radio listeners. As a result, your business shares in the integrity of the special relationship that exists between KUOW and its listeners.
Your announcement may include a selection of the following elements:
- Underwriting credits may be up to 15 seconds in length (approximately 67 syllables following the introduction)
- Business name or that of a subsidiary, legal DBA, operating division or parent company.
- Maximum of two mentions of company name to include internet URL if it includes company name Location of business
- Years in business
- Business address, URL or phone number
- A value–neutral description of your business's products and services
- Up to three trade names, products or services that identify your business
- An established corporate slogan that is consistent with guidelines
Announcements may not contain:
- Slogans and positioning statements coined only for short term or specific marketing campaigns
- Calls to action or inducements to buy or sell, rent or lease
- Pricing or other inducements, including interest–free rates or promotional offers, sale or discount information or complimentary services
- Qualitative, comparative or promotional language including memberships, citing of awards or third party endorsements
- Music beds or sound effects
- Use of personal pronouns, or other content that speaks directly to the listeners, that create the impression of a KUOW endorsement
Your account manager will work with you so that we can meet your marketing needs within the parameters of these rules.
To learn more about marketing your business on KUOW, contact John R. Hill, Director, Corporate Support at 206.616.6746 or complete our Information Request Form.